Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post Ike, part 1

There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with. - William Halsey

Galveston and its underlying economy has been irrevocably changed. Virtually all of the sole proprietor (i.e. mom and pop) places have closed and many are gone forever. Among those I miss most are, Bronco Burritos, the taqueria I have patronized for almost two decades, El Nopalito, and Gino’s Italian. The famous Strand is also in ruins along with my favorite Fuddrucker’s location. The beaches are eroded beyond recognition in many places. Approximately, one quarter of the pre-Ike population has relocated off of the island.
Even worse, the largest employer in the Galveston County has announced plans to lay off approximately one third of its workers. Unfortunately, my wife and I both work there.
As I walk across campus on the majestic new red-brick inlaid walkway, I cannot help but think it is being paved with the blood of those soon to be sacrificed.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Welcome back, I was getting worried. GL on your job situation.