Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Guess They Threw All the Beads in New Orleans, Mardi Gras Galveston 2010


I just want Texas to be number one in something other than executions, toll roads and property taxes. – Kinky Friedman

The weather was beautiful on Saturday morning and I was up early to attend the annual Galveston County Master Gardener’s Fruit Tree sale. Having been twice before, I knew what sort of chaos to expect and got there early. This sale offers fruit tree varieties that are particularly well suited to our south Texas climate and grown with love by real master gardeners. They are sold either bare root or potted in 3-5 gallon containers. I bought a bare root Beauty Plum tree to add to my two MidPride Peach trees, and navel Orange tree (purchased at my two previous visits). Having been prepared, I was the first one to check out and headed straight home to plant my new tree.

As it got closer to Noon, we loaded up the boys and headed to the Seawall to see the first Mardi Gras parade of the day. The most noteworthy guy they had in this parade this year was none other than the former Texas Gubernatorial candidate, Kinky Friedman, chomping his trademark cigar. Sadly, (as you can see from the picture) neither Kinky nor the other folks in the parade were throwing many beads, and consequently, the parade watchers were not properly bead adorned. As one of the lucky ones to have previously ridden floats in the parade, I can confirm that you are supposed to be throwing beads as fast and furiously to the crowds as you can. The folks in this parade, apparently, had not gotten the memo about proper Mardi Gras parade etiquette.

In any case, we ended the afternoon on a high note by stopping by the locally famous, Queen’s Bar-B-Que. I had a sliced beef po-boy and my wife and son enjoyed the chipped beef po-boys. The sandwiches were good but not sufficiently large and, as usual when I go to Queen’s, I could have easily eaten two.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Kinky nor the other folks in the parade were throwing many beads, and consequently, the parade watchers were not properly bead adorned.

The country is going to hell in a hand basket. I mean, really.

Sounds like you had a good day, I'd say. Thx for the photo.