Friday, March 7, 2008

Working on My “A” Game

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow.

I just completed Tommy Angelo’s book, “Elements of Poker”. I enjoyed it and will be working to incorporate some of his recommendations into my game. The book primarily offers advice on how to improve one’s meta-game. How to reduce the incidences of one's “C” game and increase those of one’s “A” game. He makes a compelling case for both why and how to reduce your “C” game. He also gives some sound advice on other topics that are not the usual poker strategy stuff. Like how to improve one’s game by improving one’s folding and one’s quitting. Things that are a necessary part of every player’s game but things we rarely ever think about because they are so ubiquitous.
Imagine this - how to improve one’s game by breathing better. Yeah, that’s right, breathing. I tried his advice last night in a home game and it was right on. I was running hot and having a good time with my friends but noticed I was becoming distracted by all the table talk and other stuff going on so I started consciously thinking about my breathing. Within minutes I was back on my “A” game and re-focused. Amazing.
I definitely recommend this book as a means of identifying some improvements in your game that you probably have not ever considered.




No comments: